I've been married now for almost three months. There were some living-together adjustments: deciding on a wet towel protocol, learning to share a full sized bed, attempting to synchronize sleep schedules, and a few minor marriage stressers: living in a construction zone, cram packed schedules (both of us are students who have full-time jobs), budgets. But I can honestly say that I am grateful for every minute. I have learned so much about myself and Jarrod during these three months. We don't feel like two separate people anymore. I absolutely could not imagine life without him.
Very few things about this marriage are what I thought they would be, but I don't mind a bit.
Things that surprised me:
1. Jarrod likes to cook! He helps me when I'm making dinner, and sometimes he even makes dinner by himself. This is where the domesticity stops though, the boy won't clean for anything. (That part didn't surprise me in the slightest.)
2. I don't miss him all the time. I was so worried I would be lonely when he was at the fire station, but I am grateful for that time. I get to see my friends without feeling guilty, like I should be home. I also have time to do some uninterrupted housework. And I love the morning when he gets off shift, when he comes home and wakes me up. Such a great way to start my day.
3. I always want to be home. This has never described me before in my entire life. I have always wanted to be going and doing things all the time. Now, home is my favorite place in the world. Sitting on the couch with Jarrod and Clara is as content as I could possibly be.
4. I want a baby. Now. This one is hard to explain. I know I don't need a baby. My schedule would not work well with a baby's, and we are not financially ready. I understand this fully, and I don't want to bring a baby into the world feeling that way. That said, anytime I see a baby, hear someone talk about babies, or walk past the baby clothes section at a store, all I can think about is how BADLY I want to be a mommy. I have wanted it my whole life and now it's actually something I could do...and it's so, so hard to wait. I already have names for 2 girls and 2 boys, and I have resisted the urge to buy baby clothes with fire trucks multiple times. They are just too stinkin' cute! Jarrod and my mother would appreciate me stifling this little obsession for a while, so I suppose I will.
No comments:
Post a Comment